Friday, October 17, 2008

City Love

I'm going to bed soon, I swear.

I just had to comment on the momentous occasion that today (well, yesterday) was John Mayer's birthday. As one of my All Time Favorite artists, I wouldn't feel right unless I marked the day. John's (I call him that because we're tight like that) first album, "Room for Squares" reminds me of high school. I was just starting to come into my own and that CD got me through. I remember the first time I heard "Your Body is a Wonderland." It was a Thursday evening. I remember the first time I saw him in concert--it was outside, and I still have the t-shirt. I remember staring at my ceiling, playing "Love Song for No One" over and over, singing with the music that said "I'm tired of being alone/so hurry up and/get here." My favorite quote is from "Why Georgia Why" that goes:

So what
So I've got a smile on?
Well it's hiding
The quiet superstitions
In my head.
Don't believe me
Don't believe me
Don't believe me
When I say
I've got it down
Everybody's just a stranger
But that's the danger in
Going my own way
Guess it's a price I have to pay
Still everything happens for a reason
That's the reason why
I ask myself
Am I living it right?
Am I living it right?
Am I living it right?
Why, Georgia, why?

Anyone who has figured out the album "Room for Squares" has, in turn, figured me out. In which case he (hopefully it's a he) should marry me immediately because John Mayer has managed to take almost every insecurity or looming, wondering thought I've ever had, twist it around to make perfect sense, and put it against his acoustic guitar.

And for that, I am eternally grateful.

5 comments:

(vixenchick) said...

Hey lucky! Why Georgia is my shit! I LOVE that song.....even though I'm not exactly sure what it means. LOL!

n0days0ff said...

Your body is a wonderland used to be THAT JAM

Amber Steez said...

Dreaming with a broken heart= story of my life.

Lucky said...

VC: hey boo! Come to think of it, I dunno what "Why, Georgia Why" means, either. Oh well, love the song, though!

No Days Off: Welcome to tGitG! I went through a period where I would change the words to "Your skin like cinnamon" instead of "porcelain." Black power, and all that :)

Jayne: Girl. Don't get me started on Continuum. "I'm Gonna Find Another You" is on a whole 'nother level of dopeness...

Kaitlin said...

i have that album and i love it. over all though, i like stupid mouth best. :D