Thursday, July 16, 2009

Founded Fountains

Feeling kinda cranky today, yall :-( also, at work typing on my Blackberry so things are a little cramped...

I'm a rather passionate person. You could say emotional, I suppose, but I'm fairly even-keeled. However, there was a time in Lucky's youth where she was shy, sensitive, and prone to tears with the right provocation. Now, despite the, ahem, outgoing-ness (loudness), at my core I'm still the shy, quiet sixth grader who'd curl up with a book all afternoon.

Crying, on the other hand, is something I rarely do. But in remembrance of those early days, let me say this: I hate, loathe, and abhor when someone admonishes a teary person to "Stop crying." Screw you, I'll cry if I want to! (Wkcite Leslie Gore, 1963)

Seriously. Different things set people off, and just because I'm not moved to tears by something doesn't give me the right inflict that onto someone else! Not talking about kids crying or people dramatically fake-sobbing, but real tears over something.

"Don't cry" is kind of in the same vein, but people say that a little kinder. Still, it's the principle, methinks. So the next time someone's sobbing over a TV show or whatever, be a good Samaritan and hand them a tissue.

Do it for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm such a crybaby, I cry ALL the time. I sobbed whilst watching Ugly Betty the other day. Actually sobbed.

It's along the same lines as someone saying 'Are you alright?' when someone is crying - clearly they're not!

xxxx

Lucky said...

Awww! I almost envy people who cry a lot, I feel like it means they're passionate and in touch with themselves (which you are!) It's people who don't get too emotional or reactive at least once in awhile that I'm worried about. Either you are a shell of a person, kinda dull, or has all that stuff bottled up and ready to explode on me one day!