Sunday, May 18, 2008

I Have Returned To Civilization

Because yesterday, I got my hair done. After a few hours of power tools, magic potions, and a rerun of "Soul Food" on TV, I went from Don King to Kate Moss (honest. My new hair looks similar to hers). So praise the Lord for that.

I hate that I'm so forgetful. Like, during the day my mind is full of dozens of things to post about, and by the time I sit my butt down to write them, I've usually forgotten most of them.

Here's a starting point:

I couldn’t resist him
His eyes were like yours
His hair was exactly the shade of brown
He’s just not as tall, but I couldn’t tell
It was dark and I was lying down

You are everything – he means nothing to me
I can’t even remember his name
Why’re you so upset?
Baby, you weren’t there and I was thinking of you when I came

What do you expect?
You left me here alone; I drank so much and needed to touch
Don’t overreact – I pretended he was you
You wouldn’t want me to be lonely

How can I put it so you understand?
I didn’t let him hold my hand
But he looked like you; I guess he looked like you
No he wasn’t you
But you can still trust me, this ain’t infidelity
It’s not cheating; you were on my mind

Yes he looked like you
But I heard love is blind…

"I Heard Love is Blind"
by (who else?) A-Dubs, the Beehived One herself.

This song reminds me that I used to have a "type" of guy, looks-wise. Tall, light, curly hair, athletic. Tex was it, the Runner was close, the Homeboy was nowhere near. I am actually so curious as to what the next one will look like (I'm watching the game right now, so at this particular moment I hope my next guy looks like Chauncey Billups...). On a slightly-deeper note, I think it also means that you take a little something from each experience, which shapes what you do and don't want in a relationship. I think that's cool, and that way, no fling ever has to be in vain.

I am, it has to be said, so bored right now. I mean, I could do laundry or unpack, but um, no. This game had better get interesting. Oh, never mind, I know what I'll do. I'm going to finish this game, catch up on last week's episode of "Grey's Anatomy," and convince Mom to make brownies for dinner (I mean, dessert). My sister rented "P.S. I Love You" yesterday, so perhaps I'll watch that, too.

I'm sorry, y'all, these words ain't flowing like I need them to be, so I'll bid you adieu right here. Hopefully my sparkling wit and way with words will come back by the time I post again. And if they don't, then, well, I never really had 'em it in the first place.


I remembered something to tell y'all. I need some books to peak my interest. When I was younger, I used to be an avid reader, I remember reading "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Of Mice and Men" before I got to middle school (yes, I was that child). I seem to have tapered off. Part of it is because I'm so busy, and also because, well, when I was young I just picked up whatever was around the house and read it. Now, when I go down to the basement and peruse the dusty bookshelves, I've read everything! I want a book that's not really breezy, but not too highbrow. I like Pearl Cleage, Jennifer Weiner, and, well, JK Rowling. I hate John Steinbeck. I like a good story, not something that I have to sift through and analyze. I read "The Road" by Carson McCullers, (Oprah's Book Club) and I wanted to slit my wrists when I was finally done. So that will be my challenge this summer, to find a grown-up book, and by that I mean I won't be embarrassed to read it in public.

5 comments:

(vixenchick) said...

I have a book recommendation for you: Crave by Darnella Ford. It's my all time favorite book. It's so amazing! This is seriously the best book I've read in a long time.

P.S. Save me some of those brownies gurl! :)

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you made that visit to Jerome, and are no longer offending humanity lol.

Lucky said...

I'll see if I can find "Crave" at my local library (money's kind of tight lol)

Yes, J was a brave soldier and returned me back to humankind :)

K said...

I hate John Steinbeck too. His books are so boring to me.

Lucky said...

Reading "Cannery Row" in 10th grade almost killed me!